Some of the increase comes from improved testing, but in some places, it appears the virus has only now arrived.
The coronavirus pandemic is ebbing in some of the countries that were hit hard early on, but the number of new cases is growing faster than ever worldwide, with more than 100,000 reported each day.
Twice as many countries have reported a rise in new cases over the past two weeks as have reported declines, according to a New York Times database. On May 30, more new cases were reported in a single day worldwide than ever before: 134,064. The increase has been driven by emerging hot spots in Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
Over all, there have been more than 6.3 million reported cases worldwide and more than 380,000 known deaths. More than a quarter of all known deaths have been in the United States. But the geography of the pandemic is changing quickly.
The increases in some countries can be attributed to improved testing programs. But in many places, it appears that the virus has only now arrived with a wide scope and fatal force.
Here is a look at some of the countries where the number of new cases has been doubling every two to three weeks.
The death toll in Brazil, Latin America’s largest country, passed 30,000 on Tuesday, when officials reported 1,262 deaths, which was the nation’s highest one-day total. President Jair Bolsonaro, who has repeatedly minimized the threat of the virus, said, “We are sorry for all the dead, but that’s everyone’s destiny.” Brazil now has more than half a million known cases, second only to the United States. But it has no health minister: Two were forced out in less than a month after they balked at expanding the use of hydroxychloroquine, a malaria drug promoted by Mr. Bolsonaro that has not been proved effective against the virus. And despite the growing number of cases and hospitals that are close to capacity, businesses have started reopening in major cities.
Peru has more than 170,000 confirmed cases, despite taking the virus seriously early on. The president, Martín Vizcarra, ordered one of the first national lockdowns in South America. Though the official coronavirus death toll stands at around 5,000, Peru had 14,000 more deaths than usual in May, suggesting that a growing number of people are dying at home as hospitals struggle to handle a flood of Covid-19 cases. The pandemic provoked an exodus from Lima, the capital, as people unable to work fled by bus, and even by foot, to family farms. It is widely expected that the number of new cases and of deaths will continue to rise in coming weeks as winter nears and the economy slowly reopens.
For months, Egypt, the Arab world’s most populous country, seemed to avoid the worst of the pandemic. But the number of cases there has been rising significantly, reaching 27,536 on Tuesday. The recent death of a young doctor, who was denied treatment for Covid-19 at an overwhelmed hospital, ignited a revolt by members of the medical staff. They said the government had failed to provide adequate protective equipment and training to front-line workers.
With more than 35,000 confirmed infections, the most in Africa, South Africa still has a growing number of new cases, despite enacting a strict lockdown in March that included a ban on the sale of tobacco and alcohol. The prohibition was lifted this month even though the total number of cases continued to rise.
Bangladesh now has 55,000 known cases, and its troubles were compounded last month by Cyclone Amphan, a deadly storm that tore through communities under lockdown. This week, the country reported its first death from Covid-19 in a refugee camp: A 71-year-old Rohingya man died May 31 while receiving treatment in an isolation center. His death raised fears about the hundreds of thousands of Rohingya refugees who, after fleeing Myanmar, live in camps with tightly packed tents and shacks.
The traditional Bastille Day parade down the Champs-Élysées in Paris will be replaced by a smaller military ceremony because of the coronavirus pandemic and will include a tribute to health workers, the French president’s office said on Thursday.
“Given the exceptional situation that our country is currently going through and the uncertainties that remain as to the evolution of the Covid-19 pandemic in the coming weeks, the July 14 national day celebrations will be maintained but adapted to the circumstances,” the office said in a statement.
Every July 14, thousands of people crowd on the Champs-Élysées, the famous avenue that runs from Place de la Concorde to the Arc de Triomphe, to watch soldiers march by, tanks roll past and jets fly overhead. President Trump attended in 2017.
There have been no signs of a second wave of infections in France so far, and restrictions have gradually been lifted: Most recently, cafes and restaurants around the country were allowed to reopen. But the authorities have warned that the epidemic is not over and have kept some limits in place, most notably a ban on large public gatherings.
This year’s Bastille Day parade will be replaced by a military ceremony on Place de la Concorde, with only about 2,000 participants and 2,500 guests, who will have to follow “the current physical distancing rules,” the president’s office said. An air force flyover will still be included.
The ceremony will also pay tribute to the French Army for contributing to the national coronavirus response — the military deployed a field hospital in the badly affected Alsace region and helped move patients around the country — as well as to French health workers and “all of the actors mobilized against the virus,” the presidency said. It was not immediately clear what shape that tribute would take.
GLOBAL ROUND UP
Germany approves €130 billion in stimulus to restart its economy.
Germans will receive 300 euros, or about $336, per child, pay less tax on daily items and be charged less for electricity, under a €130 billion, or about $146 billion, stimulus plan agreed to by Chancellor Angela Merkel’s government.
Ms. Merkel called the package, which was agreed to late Wednesday, a “bold response” to the pandemic downturn.
The plan also includes €5.3 billion for the social security system, €10 billion to help municipalities cover housing and other costs and €1.9 billion for cultural institutions and nonprofits.
The plan requires new borrowing. Ms. Merkel’s government abandoned its adherence to a balanced budget in March, when it passed a €750 billion rescue package that included taking on more than €150 billion of fresh debt.
“We need to get out of this crisis with an oomph,” the finance minister, Olaf Scholz, said.
Here are some other developments from around the world.
The authorities in Ecuador raided the home of former President Abdalá Bucaram on Wednesday as part of an investigation into racketeering and corruption related to the acquisition of medicine and protective equipment for the country’s hospitals during the pandemic.
Italians, who often have to fight through throngs of tourists just to walk the street, are getting to experience something they had only dreamed of: a tourist-free visit to some of the world’s greatest — and most popular — museums.
A weekly report is expected to show further job losses in the U.S.
The U.S. government is expected to report this morning that 1.8 million people filed new claims for state unemployment benefits last week, continuing the decline in new claims from the more than six million who submitted applications in a single week in March.
But even as the pace of layoffs has eased, the ranks of people continuing to join the rolls — more than 40 million filings since mid-March — underscore the continuing strain on the economy caused by the pandemic.
The overall number collecting state benefits — known as continuing claims — fell by roughly 3.8 million to 21.1 million in the week that ended May 16, and is expected to decline again in the latest report, partly signaling that laid-off workers are being recalled as businesses reopen.
George Floyd had the virus in early April, nearly two months before he died in police custody, according to a full autopsy released by the Hennepin County medical examiner on Wednesday.
Dr. Andrew M. Baker, the county’s top medical examiner, said that the Minnesota Department of Health had swabbed Mr. Floyd’s nose after his death, and that he had tested positive for the virus, but that it was likely a lasting positive result from his previous infection.
There is no indication that the virus played any role in his death, and Dr. Baker said Mr. Floyd was likely asymptomatic at the time of his death.
Dr. Michael Baden, a former New York City medical examiner who was among two doctors who conducted a private autopsy for Mr. Floyd’s family last week, said county officials did not tell him that Mr. Floyd had tested positive for Covid-19.
The four police officers who were charged in Mr. Floyd’s death should also get tested, as should some of the witnesses, Dr. Baden said. “I’m not angry,” he said. “But there would have been more care.”
While the National Basketball Association’s team owners are preparing to vote today on a plan to resume play, Major League Baseball’s efforts to return to the field have stalled as owners and the players’ union battle over the length of a reconstituted season.
The N.B.A. plan calls for bringing back 22 of the league’s 30 teams and stationing them all at Walt Disney World in Florida, where they would each play eight games to decide a 16-team playoff field. Fans would not be present. The proposal, which needs approval from 23 of the owners, is expected to pass and then be presented to the union, whose president, Chris Paul of the Oklahoma City Thunder, has been working on the proposal with the N.B.A. commissioner, Adam Silver.
For M.L.B., team owners have proposed an 82-game schedule, just over half of the usual 162 regular-season games. The union, long considered the most tenacious in American professional sports, countered with a 114-game proposal, which the owners reportedly rejected on Wednesday. Now the owners are threatening to schedule only 50 games.
On Wednesday, Major League Soccer players ratified a new labor agreement and agreed to turn this season into a tournament at the site the N.B.A. has also chosen, the Disney World sports complex.
Reporting was contributed by Rachel Abrams, Manuela Andreoni, Aurelien Breeden, José María León Cabrera, Brian X. Chen, Michael Cooper, Melissa Eddy, Jack Ewing, Joshua Keller, Raphael Minder, Elisabetta Povoledo, Tyler Kepner, Kaly Soto, Marc Stein, Mitra Taj, and Safak Timur.